Sunday, July 6, 2008

So What makes a man a man or a woman a woman?

I was wandering around and found this article http://tinyurl.com/6gu4mk. It talks about hormone treatments for children to prevent sexual maturity until they can decide what gender they want to be. It talks about how gender is fluid, but the author says gender identity is set my age 3. So 9 years olds will already feel trapped in their bodies and want to change. The assumption behind all of this and other work is that gender is unrelated to biology. It is as if how you were born is not really a factor. The counter point to this "truth" is the baby boy would was raised as a girl due to tragic accident. The child knew something was wrong and never functioned well.

I would expect gender and sexuality to be biologically linked. I know that some people have gender confusion, and they feel like they are trapped in another body. But I also know that people are really screwed up mentally. I am no exception. I can be attracted to a girl that I have never met at church, and that very thought can bring up most of the pain and hurt of my life. It is screwed up and unreasonable, but it is my mess. What I am trying to say is that I think gender confusion like my confusion and others can be dealt with. I guessing that childhood problem and a some inherent genetic gender instability or experience has warped their sexuality. In our society, it seems that whatever feel is right, and often that is not the case.

What I wanted to talk about was how gender is more than some organs in your torso. I have a problem seeing men and woman as the same besides those details. And that we are easily changed between them. I have to think that biology and genetic effect our minds, hearts, and souls. I don't want to resort to men are not emotional, and woman are emotional. I am really emotional guy, so I know that is not true. But I think there is something different about being a woman and a man that is more than tissue. God creates us each a man or a woman for reason. I am a man, but what does that mean to steal a line from John Piper "what does it mean to be a little boy and not a little girl." I am not really sure what it is. I wish that I knew, or someone had told me. It is easier if I had been told, but I have to figure out what that is. Biblically, I am not sure. I don't have to culturally translate David, Paul, or Jesus to now. How was Jesus a man in what He did versus a woman. God made Him a man and not a woman. He was the perfect Man, so that would be the best place to look.

But I do not have the contrast of what does being a woman mean? I think that would help men and me understand. And I am not sure where to look for that. The bible has some good woman stories maybe proverbs 31? But shouldn't men and woman be industrious. I just don't know what are the contrasting characteristics versus the common ones. Because when I think about it the traits end up the same on both lists. Shouldn't both be caring, giving, compassionate, and not weak willed? I just don't know what makes a man or woman.

No comments: